Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Are You Expanding Your Comfort Zone?













photograph courtesy of Lev Vertov

The first time you tried something new, was it comfortable or uncomfortable? Most would say uncomfortable. What happened after you did it a few times? Did it became more and more comfortable? As we grow, we expand our comfort zone. The only time we are actually growing is when we are uncomfortable.

I am constantly inspired by my mother. At 60 years old, she is embarking on a new career as a yoga instructor. She has accomplished a lot in her lifetime (including raising 4 children) and reinvented herself a few times over the years. I was surprised to see her experiencing self-doubt during her final Phoenix Rising yoga exam. At one point she even said, "I am afraid that I am not good enough." In that moment, I felt very connected to my mother's anxiety. Even she felt uncomfortable moving into a new role. She then said, “Well, I guess that means that I am growing.”

Ask yourself: Where am I feeling comfortable? Do I feel anxiety about trying something new? Am I playing too safe? How can I push myself to expand my comfort zone? When feeling anxious, remind yourself that you are exactly where you want to be, growing.

getupgirl.org
getupgirl/twitter | getupgirl/facebook | margalitward/twitter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post. And such a great reminder... when you experience anxiety and fear you are expanding.

Your mom sounds brave and fantastic! What a wonderful role model.

I, too, am getting better at identifying fear and anxiety as growth.

Shannon Bindler said...

Love your comment Laurie!
I once heard that anxiety and excitement are opposite sides of the same coin. I try to remind myself that every time I feel anxious I am also excited.

angel said...

When The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

degree home