Monday, February 16, 2009

What Fuels You?






After working at home for two days, I really needed a day out. I took a walk to the Grove and found my way into the Barnes & Noble book store. I spent most of my time visiting the art section, which I had been day dreaming about doing all week. What a treat it was to fill my hungry eyes with a wide variety of beautiful and interesting art. It was like walking through a museum filled with artists of my own choosing. I even discovered some wonderful artists that were new to me.

Later, I wandered into Anthropology for another creative injection of color, texture and form. I love their home, book and stationery selections. I found a great book on happiness called, 'Choosing Happiness', by Alexandra Stoddard, (how fitting for the happy day I was having), and a colorful, fabric inspired box of cards and envelopes, both on sale. My lucky day!


By now, I was beginning to feel the buzz of creative energy flowing through me. I realized how important it is for me to take these excursions for the sole purpose of looking, feeling and enjoying beautiful things, –with no goal in mind, other than enjoying the adventure. Julia Cameron, author of 'The Artist's Way', calls these outings, an Artist Date. It's like planning a play date for yourself. She suggests we partake in this activity every week, as part of a recipe to inspire and support our creativity and nourish our souls.


What fuels you, your creativity and your spirit?
Is it a hike, music, a museum, or a trip to the flea market? I invite you to think about what inspires you, and give yourself the gift of time to enjoy those activities. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time. One hour a week can go a long way. As part of your self-care routine, carve out some time to experience what brings you complete joy. It will be the creative fuel to support you for the week ahead, and may even inspire some new ideas and solutions for other areas of your life.


We would love to hear your ideas on what fuels your creative energy. Let us know at info@getupgirl.org.

"Always leave enough time in your life to do something that makes you happy, satisfied, even joyous. That has more of an effect on well-being than any other factor."
– Paul Hawkin

photos by Margalit Ward
getupgirl.org

No comments: