Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Finding My Balance


Tara Igoe,
fellow Get Up Girl shares about a challenging time in her life and how she transformed it by facing it with courage and compassion.











My father had died and I was lost. But then something happened - for the first time I wanted to actually feel the pain instead of avoiding it as I always had and I started to step up to the plate in my life. Peak performance coach Tony Robbins (and my very favorite teacher) calls that leverage - the moment when you associate more pain to staying the way you are than to make a change.

And so with that leverage - and total faith that a higher power was guiding me - I started to listen to myself. I quit my job, started consulting and found balance. I hiked and did yoga. Started volunteering. I made one third of what I used to in dollars but my life was richer than it had ever been.

And I went on vacations - real vacations. Like this one to Paris. Here I am walking toward Notre Dame and so happy to be in the damp wet weather that reminds me so much of my New England roots and my father.

I felt alive and happy (I still do, now more than ever) when that photo was taken - and I was really glad I was walking because I ate constantly on that trip and gained a lot of weight - YUMMY!

Thanks Tara for sharing your inspiring and touching story.

No comments: